Skip to content


  • Information regarding policies, procedures and discounts when travelling with an attendant is available under our Travel & Recreation resources link. Please refer to this link to determine eligibility when you and your attendant are travelling with Air Canada, WestJet, Greyhound or BC Ferries.

  • If you are about to surrender your BC driver’s licence due to a vision loss, you will be eligible to obtain a BC Identification Card at no additional charge.

  • Depending on the nature of your disability, you may be eligible to apply for a Disabled Parking Placard from SPARC BC (Social Planning and Research Council) – Parking Permit Program. Forms are available on-line, through the SPARC office by calling 604 718-7744 or through your local disability resource Centre. NOTE: There is a processing fee associated with your application and Disabled Parking Placards are not issued to individuals whose sole disability is blindness related.

  • TransLink’s door-to-door shared-ride HandyDART service uses specially-equipped vehicles designed to carry passengers with physical or cognitive disabilities who are unable to use public transit. HandyDART will pick you up at the outside door of your residence and drop you off at your destination. complete details regarding HandyDART services are available by following this link, including an application form, an out-of-town or visitor application form, mobility aid restrictions, details regarding guide or assistance dogs on HandyDART vehicles and more.

    NOTE: HandyDART does not provide rides to/from school (or for school related field trips) for students attending elementary or secondary schools.

  • Should you have a permanent physical or cognitive disability that makes it difficult to use the public transit system throughout Metro Vancouver without assistance, TransLink is here to help with the HandyCard discounts and Taxi Saver coupons. Provided you live within the TransLink service area, HandyCard lets you travel for Concession fares on the bus, SkyTrain, SeaBus and West Coast Express. If you’re accompanied by someone who assists you, they may ride at no charge, so you can go green and pay less. Applicant must be a minimum 12 years of age to qualify for a HandyCARD.

    NOTE: HandyCard cannot be used on HandyDART. When you begin a transit trip on HandyDART, you pay the regular HandyDART fare, not a concession fare.

  • One of the many interesting web-based tools available for your pc or your mobile device is TransLink’s i-Move. i-Move is an interactive map that provides real- time information, including links to traffic-cams as well as constantly updated traffic advisories, for people using cars, buses and bikes in the Metro Vancouver area.

  • Provided you are 16 or older and have one of the following disabilities, you may qualify for a 25 per cent discount on your Basic Autoplan under Insurance Corporation of British Columbia’s Disability Discount Plan — even if you don’t drive the vehicle you’re insuring. You may also qualify for a fuel tax refund of up to $500.00 per annum. Eligible disabilities include:

    • Have lost a limb or permanent functional loss of lower limbs;

    • Are permanently dependent on a wheelchair;

    • Have a permanent impairment of movement such that your use of public transportation would be hazardous to you (whether or not public transportation is available). A certification from a medical practitioner is required;

    • Have permanent sight impairment and are not eligible to hold a driver’s licence under the Motor Vehicle Act. A certification from a medical practitioner is required;

    • Have a permanent mental disability to the extent that your use of public transportation would be hazardous to you (whether or not public transportation is available). A certification from a medical practitioner is required;

    • Receive a 100 per cent disability pension as a result of active service in any war while a member of Her Majesty’s forces; and/or

    • Are receiving or would receive, but for having reached age of 65, assistance or a supplement under the Employment and Assistance for Persons with Disabilities Act.

  • Uncertain of the name of the taxi company or what number to call to obtain a taxi in your area? This universal number is fabulous when travelling in unfamiliar cities. Just call #TAXI (or #8294) from your cellular phone and respond to the prompts.

  • On January 30th 2008, BC’s Ministry of Transportation introduced the Taxi Bill of Rights for Metro Vancouver. While this program is designed to benefit all consumers of taxi services, persons with vision loss will benefit from these rights and regulations.